Friday, September 13, 2013

Go and learn these things first...




A young man named Abū Ja`far Ahmad b. Habbān al-Qatī`ī approached Ahmad b. Hanbal and asked him: “Can I perform ritual ablutions with limestone-saturated water?” 

Ahmad replied: “I dislike this practice.” 

The young man then asked: “Can I perform my ritual ablutions with the runoff water from soaking beans?

Again, Ahmad replied: “I dislike this practice.”

The young man then asked: “Can I perform my ritual ablutions with water infused with safflower?

Yet again, Ahmad replied: “I dislike this practice.”

At this point, the student got up to leave. Ahmad, gently tugged on his shirt to bid him to stay. Then he asked the young man: “Do you know the supplication you should say when you enter the mosque?” The man remained silent. Then Ahmad asked: “Do you know the supplication you should say when you leave the mosque?” Again, the young man could not answer.

Then Ahmad said: “Go and learn these things.”


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...